Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 



It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still. 

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl who scratches out a meager existence by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist: books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids, as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement. 

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak, author of I Am the Messenger, has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time.

                 I liked the way the book was written which is much different than other Holocaust novels, but it wasn't very enjoyable for me. I thought that it was somewhat uneventful and I didn't want to keep reading it like I do with a lot of other books. I didn't like the ending at all I found it really unrealistic and disappointing.

Rating: 6 out of 10
 
 
                 Bucket- Zusak is almost synesthetic in his descriptions, and involves lots of color and smell symbolism. Somehow, having death as a narrator makes the story more light hearted, even when things get dark. The book gives you a different perspective of WWII. I loved this moving and exciting book, and I especially recommend it if your English class doesn't cover it.
 
Rating: 9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment